Student Log In
29 Years of Success!

Tel: +44 161 819 9922

What Can Be Claimed Back From The Inland Revenue?

When working in a self-employed capacity in the UK certain items, directly related to the business, can be claimed back, in part, from the Inland Revenue. To do this, freelancers need to prove:

  • what has been purchased
  • where it was purchased from
  • how much it cost
  • when it was purchased


So, the above details, along with the accompanying receipts should be kept for the following items:

  • stationary
  • equipment
  • postage
  • photocopying
  • bank charges
  • phone/internet bills
  • courses
  • travel to meetings
  • membership of professional bodies
  • business related training


And if working from home:

  • part of the utility bills


Remember, always check with your accountant or the Inland Revenue if you are not sure what qualifies as an expense.

If you want to find out more about being a freelance writer or copywriter request details for either The Writers Bureau’s Creative Writing Course or Complete Copywriting Course.


Found these tips useful? Then sign up to receive more writing tips and course offers.

Subscribe to Receive Writing Tips and Special Offers
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail Address:
Privacy Statement



Vicki Harwood Writers Bureau's Student of the Year 2018

“My tutor and The Writers Bureau changed my life. It’s easy to say that but the proof is in the number of books I’ve published through my own company. Thanks to the course I have full control of my work and can write confidently in a multitude of different fields. It certainly opened my eyes to the industry and equipped me with the confidence and skills to have a go at anything.”

Elsye Harwood - Writers Bureau Writer of the Year 2018

Read Elsye's full story

Mike Robinson“When I started The Complete Copywriter Course I wanted to be able to find a way to write for a living. With the help of The Writers Bureau that hope has become a reality.”

Mike Robinson


Institute of Training and Occupational Learning

Bookmark and Share