Student Log In
33 Years of Success!

Tel: +44 161 819 9922

Forum Home :: Help with assignments - stuck?

Back

Having trouble with my commas

Paul R - July 29, 2015 writes:

Hi guys, I was wondering if somebody could help me please. I have been studying punctuation and grammar now for the past few weeks, and thought it time to practice proofreading on something I have written myself. However, on the first paragraph, I'm already having trouble. In my opening paragraph, I have written: 'I became a little anxious, flying into an unknown land.' Flying into an unknown land isn't a complete sentence because there is no subject, but it is still part of the main idea, so is a comma the correct punctuation? My module notes say it should be a colon, but I don't like the look of them in my book. Or looking at the sentence again, is 'land' the subject? Any clarity on this would be very useful. Much appreciated. Paul R.
Comments

Jason D - September 3, 2015 replied:

Well, you could use a comma, as 'flying into an unknown land', is the subordinate clause, adding extra information...or you could use a colon- to add emphasis.

Jason D - September 3, 2015 replied:

I think! 😃

Paul R - September 14, 2015 replied:

Thanks for your reply :)

Mike N - November 10, 2018 replied:

I'm doing the proofreading course and believe me, the use of commas does not get easier. I was on here looking for help with the first test of the PR course - I bombed at using commas - I've had two books published and yet I cannot pass tests using commas!!! There is a common thought out there that modern writing requires less commas, so that the words flow much easier? This course does not seem to allow that, but I wonder if publishing houses would? Any thoughts? Mike Nelson...

Annemarie Munro Writers Bureau's Student of the Year 2022

"I have seen my writing journey as an adventure: What can I write? What am I best at? What new aspects of writing can I discover and contribute towards? I have welcomed the wide range of modules covering different types of writing, challenging me to try new aspects in style and content, pushing me gently outside my comfort zone with encouragement.

"I signed up for the course in December 2020 as a Christmas present to myself and I started the first module in January 2021. I have had eight pieces published: three paid earning £1080 and a star letter where I won a £250 hotel voucher."

Annemarie Munro - Writers Bureau Student of the Year 2022

Read Annemarie's full story

Institute of Training and Occupational Learning

Bookmark and Share