Student Log In
33 Years of Success!

Tel: +44 161 819 9922

Forum Home :: Help with assignments - stuck?

Back

Assignment 2

Caroline W - June 17, 2015 writes:

Hi Can anyone advise on magazines that have letters pages. When I went into WH Smiths the majority of their magazines were in plastic wrappings so I couldn't see if they had letters pages. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Carrie
Comments

Amanda K - June 23, 2015 replied:

Many of the women's weekly's have a letters page along with most interest magazines such as yoga or photography. It might be worth going to somewhere like a newsagents such a Martin's or Mcolls as I know near me there are loads of magazines there to help :)

Caroline W - June 23, 2015 replied:

Thanks for this Amanda, I will try somewhere smaller and more local. How are you getting on with the course?

Robert K - July 8, 2015 replied:

Hello as a gentleman I'm finding really hard to find a magazine to write for that fits the bill. Any of the letters pages in the magazines I would like to write a letter to, or the newspapers, don't seem to offer a payment or reward. I know what you are all going to say, did I not read the bit about gender neutral thinking and writing by initial and surname only. But I can't think of anything useful to wrote that would fit the bill for items such as 'That's Life' or 'Take a Break'. I'm not in that mindset :(

Caroline W - July 14, 2015 replied:

To be honest its just as difficult for women, lots of us don't have any interest in these magazines. It is also true that there are very few payments or rewards for letters now. I'm trying Readers Digest not something I would normally read but there a few interesting articles in it. It is worth picking up magazines you would not usually read!

Kameswaran V - July 24, 2015 replied:

I guess the intention is to train those connections in your Brain that are not yet strong by making you write out of your comfort zone. These newer and stronger connections later help you write some wonderful stuff. That in itself is a pay back. Variety is spice of life :)

Annemarie Munro Writers Bureau's Student of the Year 2022

"I have seen my writing journey as an adventure: What can I write? What am I best at? What new aspects of writing can I discover and contribute towards? I have welcomed the wide range of modules covering different types of writing, challenging me to try new aspects in style and content, pushing me gently outside my comfort zone with encouragement.

"I signed up for the course in December 2020 as a Christmas present to myself and I started the first module in January 2021. I have had eight pieces published: three paid earning £1080 and a star letter where I won a £250 hotel voucher."

Annemarie Munro - Writers Bureau Student of the Year 2022

Read Annemarie's full story

Institute of Training and Occupational Learning

Bookmark and Share